Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Problem Number One

Mormon culture is a funny thing.  It's warm and fuzzy and full of love.  Until you question the church's doctrine and/or history.  Then?  Things can get a little shaky.  It's one of the things that has always been hard for me.  Having questions is part of life and I believe God intended for us to use our minds to solve problems and seek answers.  I realized recently that instead of truly seeking answers to my questions, I've always let fear of being judged get the best of me.  I took whatever was bothering me and "filed" it away, thinking I'd probably find an answer later on in life.  My problem at this point is that my "file" is too jam packed for me to function.  I can't just suppress my questions anymore.  I have to find some answers.  I can't move forward with my life until I organize my "file."  So far, it has been an extremely painful process.  I'm hoping that someone with smartz might read this and be able to help me.

There is a chance that this blog post will get me into some serious hot water with a few people, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.  Actually, I don't think many people read this anymore. So if you happen to stumble onto this, maybe don't tell anyone I know, mmm-kay?  That would be super.

So.  Joseph Smith.  Not your average Joe (I know, right?).  I've known that for a long time and it's always been fine with me.  After all, his job was to restore Christ's gospel to the earth, not to be perfect.  But when I looked a little more closely, I started wondering if God would actually choose someone like him to do such an important thing.  He wasn't just "not perfect."  In fact, he did several things that were downright criminal.  But still, that's neither here nor there.  What really bothered me was discovering the true nature of polygamy, including how and why he ended up practicing it.  Initially I was told that it was for the purpose of building God's kingdom and bringing more children into the world.  Fine.  Whatever.  But then how in the world do you explain the polyandry situation (marrying women who were already married to other living man)?  And did he really send men on missions and then marry their wives while they were gone without even telling them?  All the evidence points to YES. And why did he need to marry so many girls that were so young?  Again, I was told that "times were different" and "women married at much younger ages back then."  But that's actually not true.  The average age for girls to marry was 21-23.  I'm thinking the 14 year olds probably weren't quite ready to take on the wife role just yet.  Or the plural wife role for that matter.  

But then something dawned on me.  Something I'd never thought about before.  Why would God tell Joseph Smith to bring back the law of polygamy after Christ's atonement had wiped out the laws of the Old Testament (ie: animal sacrifice & polygamy)?  Isn't that like saying Christ's sacrifice wasn't enough?  Would God do that???  I don't think He would.  So that leaves us with the very real possibility that Joseph Smith made it all up, which is troubling to say the least.  I also found several pages of research suggesting that Joseph Smith had already been caught twice having extramarital affairs when he received his polygamy revelation (once by his wife Emma).  I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, it would certainly be embarrassing for the Church.  Especially after the whole "we believe in being honest, true, CHASTE, benevolent..." thing.  Not to mention, We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.”  Polygamy was illegal and obviously Joseph Smith knew that (hence the secret temple ceremonies).  Can I really believe that a prophet of God would put himself above the law and then deny it to avoid getting caught?  I mean, imperfect is one thing.  I'm imperfect.  You're imperfect.  I get that.  This is something else entirely.  I don't know what to make of it.

These are just a few of the many many things that are cluttering my "file" these days.  I'm trying so hard to sort it all out but every time I feel like I'm getting a grip on one thing, 10 more surface.  I feel suffocated and paranoid.  I want some answers so badly, but I can tell you right now, they are NOT going to come through scripture study and prayer.  I need some solid factual answers.  Not warm fuzzies.

Help?  Anyone???


6 comments:

  1. I can't believe there aren't a MILLION comments to this post. Maybe you just put it up 5 minutes ago. Annie, QUESTIONS ARE OK. QUESTIONS ARE GOOD. If anyone tells you differently, THEY ARE WRONG. You can quote me on all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kolby introduced me to the principle of Occam's razor years ago: the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. When I was finally exhausted from doing the mental gymnastics required of me to be a faithful, devout, unquestioning Mormon, and allowed myself to ask the simple question, "What if it was just all made up?" suddenly all the questions I'd been struggling with for years were answered. In a moment. I remember exactly where I was when it happened. It was terrifying and exhilarating all at once--especially since I had a family and a husband and friends and a culture who were not on the same page as me (yet). Keep asking, keep searching, keep reading, keep checking and rechecking your references. Don't be afraid. Truth will always prevail, and it really will set your mind free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz - Thank you! I'll be expecting a very compelling speech from you: ).

    Jami - What kills me is that it's taken me 35 years to acutally consider it. And to think I used to look at other religious groups and think they were brainwashed. Amazing. Thank you for the good advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy shizz. Ask Meagan about Occham's Razor and how many times I have "introduced" her to that theory of rationalizing the irrational, especially lately. Kolby and I must have drank the same canal water some magical night of kick-the-can and never knew we would both end up with the same power of supreme logic. I laughed out loud in my hotel room at 3 AM when I read Jamie's post. Well, you know I whole-heartedly concur. --Pete

      Delete
  4. Oh, why am I always so late to your parties?

    You know how much I love religious warm fuzzies. (gag)

    You also know how I love to question and eyeroll when I don't think something is right. Joseph Smith was a really complicated man. I think what is the biggest struggle is that he was painted as a selfless martyr and we honor him akin to a saint. Then when we read or discover other opinions and histories, this painting is majorly tainted and questioned. We all know Brigham Young had gobs of wives, many of us come from them, but nobody tells you about Joseph Smith in church.

    Here's the thing. Can I deny God is God and that His Son is Jesus Christ who lived, shook things up, caused religious discord, was crucified and then was resurrected and lives even now?

    Nope. In my heart I know that is true.

    Good, so now I know I am a Christian. What about the Book of Mormon? Alan and I have read it during the month of July for the past few years (8 chapters a day is no joke, let me tell you). Can I tell you that my casual reading of it has never made it as clear and true as during those months. Not even close. I do believe it is a true book. Even with my cynical eyes reading those pages (I have a few questions for the next life), I believe it is real. So, if I believe that, then I must believe that Joseph Smith saw God and Christ, and was given the priesthood keys. I don't love the treasure hunting that followed. But, I can't deny that the Book of Mormon is true to me.

    So, I guess I'm a Mormon. There are things in the church part that I don't believe in. I've written about my cringing, so I won't rehash here. But, Annie, the answer to your girls' clothes and your earrings and your desire for tattoos (don't deny it. haha) is: What do you think? Go with that.

    As for the history of Joseph Smith, I have read (not finished yet) Rough Stone Rolling. I recommend it. BUT (big but here), my belief on ALL HISTORY is that it is fabricated memory. As a writer, I am acutely aware of the ability to write anything I want. I could write in my journal that Annie told me that I am a slob and my grandkids might think you a total ninny. I could also write that I had sex with Obama and my great grandkids think I am a slutbag. Do you know what I mean? I think this is true for every single piece of history. All history is seeped in fiction. It just is. So, do with it what you will and decide for yourself. Don't let my words or any writing of anyone else make up your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, I was pinning the beautiful blessing dress and I read some of your post about the church. It has been on my mind for weeks. I'm sorry for your questioning and I know we don't understand everything but you can know through study of the gospel, not the history that it is true. I teach Relief Society and I came across a great quote by President Joseph Fielding Smith and I wanted to share it with you. Joseph Fielding Smith warns how the gift of the Holy Ghost can be lost:

    "It is a commandment from the Lord that members of the Church should be diligent in their activities and study of the fundamental truths of the gospel as it has been revealed. The Spirit of the Lord will not continue to strive with the indifferent, with the wayward and the rebellious who fail to live within the light of divine truth. It is the privilege of every baptized person to have an abiding testimony of the restoration of the gospel, but this testimony will grow dim and eventually disappear unless we are constantly receiving spiritual good through study, obedience, and diligent seeking to know and understand the truth."

    We may not often be wayward or rebellious - but "indifferent" might be something a lot of us easily slip into.

    Do any of the following definitions of "indifferent" fit the way we approach our prayers, or scripture reading?

    in·dif·fer·ent
    inˈdif(ə)rənt/
    adjective

    having no particular interest or sympathy; unconcerned.

    synonyms: unconcerned, uninterested, uncaring, casual, nonchalant, offhand, uninvolved, unenthusiastic, apathetic, lukewarm, phlegmatic, blasé, insouciant
    I hope you will find this helpful. We are being lulled in by the world. We need to stay focused on the spiritual things. I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the Lords only true church on the earth and if we follow the prophet we will always be right. Vicki

    ReplyDelete