Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Finally, My Pinterest Addiction Bareth Fruit

Crud.  School's out.  It's been 7 hours and I'm struggling already.  The idea of having a fifth child seems so doable until I have the current 4 all home at the same time.  
Enter Valium.  And birth control.


I haven't really planned much in terms of academic maintenance for the summer.  But I did at long last put my many Pinterest hours to good use.  Can the words "Pinterest" and "good use" be used in the same sentence?  Because my husband would argue that they contradict each other.  At best.  BUT, behold the instagram summer journals...
So far I haven't done much more than stare at them while trying to decide what exactly I will demand be written in them, but they really do have great potential.  20 bucks says they're still blank come September.


Another thing that comes with summer is Tootsie's dance recital.  Today was picture day.  I want to love it but to be honest, it seems a little too similar to those nut-job beauty pageants that are really just an excuse for moms to dress their 5 year olds up like hookers.  It feels one set of false teeth away from ridiculous.  But she laps it up like a golden retriever on a desert island.  So of course I pull out my camera and let her work her tap dancing, booty shaking mojo.  And then I thank the good Lord that we have 364 days until we have to do it again.  
And finally, because I have absolutely no ability to stick to one topic, I want to ask you something.  When and how have you chosen to talk to your kids about the birds and the bees?  Why do you feel the way you do?  For some reason I keep running into this topic of conversation with various individuals.  I've been surprised at how greatly opinions seem to vary from one person to the next.  I came across this article recently but haven't yet decided how I feel about it.  Please, internetz, do impart your wisdom.    

6 comments:

  1. #1 Super cute journals. Great idea.
    #2 She looks so cute! Where does she do dance lessons? I need to get my girls in some.
    #3 I'm planning on going with my parents method of teaching the birds and bees. Do and say nothing....but not really, I guess I should do something. I've heard you should have the talk around 8 years old. I still have a few years before I have to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pinterest is always for good use. best use, I'd say.

    tootsie is fa-reaking adorable.

    we told Mags when she was 9 and Johnny when he was almost 8. I'm on the age 8 is great bandwagon, because they DO hear about it at school and I want my kids to trust me first. Not that kid who tells them... well, not right things. Disturbingly wrong things. Johnny needed to hear it earlier, because it was very apparent that he was curious and asking and able to handle it. Maggie I waited because she was so dang innocent, but luckily we told her when we did because one month later she was asking about "donor dads" and lesbians. Glad we had the basics down before that one.

    Al and I took them out for "grown up" dinner and let them know it was because they were so mature and smart to know this and to talk about it with Mom and Dad (and ONLY with). So far, I have been happy with the outcomes and discussions.

    There's my novel. We can chat all about it Saturday, if you're going! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm on my wedding day, on the way to the luncheon, my mom said "so do you have any questions...". So there you go. I think you should pretty much leave it up to your children's friends to fill them in on all the important info. Think of all the conversations we girls had on late night sleepovers :) We pretty much had it all figured out. I've opted out so far, I told Bryan he gets to handle "the talk" with the boys. Ethan has been given the powerpoint presentation, and Jacob is up next. I'll figure out what to say to Hailey...in a couple of years.

    Tootsie looks SUPER cute. She and Hailey need to play, I'm completely serious...or there moms need to play. We need to get together for another girls night, we missed you at Chilis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing eight is the right age to introduce all that business, but considering we are approaching that in three short months, I have my reservations. Coop is so innocent I think it would knock his socks off, but I do agree that I'd rather have him know he can talk about it at home with us than have it be some taboo topic. Ugh. I don't like that part of being a parent. you know, the growing up part. let's skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "their" ...yes I know...completely OCD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know the best age to tell them. We have 2 down and 1 to go. Just be prepared for some seriously awesome responses when you do have "the talk." Our oldest, with a look of disgust on his face, said, "Nasty!" And my good friend's kid said, "Now you've crossed the line!" and (my favorite) "Mormons don't do that, right?" Ha ha! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete